Monday, December 28, 2009

End of year Beauties...Last Auction of 09 is OVER

Look to see if you were high bidder. We had a couple "max" bids that came to the wire so be sure to check to see if you won. Thanks and Happy New Year!!!!!

Jimbo

Oh.. and High bidders, please use the "make a donation" button in the left margin of this page if you'd like to use paypal for payment. Otherwise please email me for other arrangements.
And THANKS AGAIN!!!






Here are four beauties to ring out the year. Three different woods, all BEAUTIFUL!
Lets go from left to right. The hook on the left (hook #1) is made of Olive Wood. Olive wood, as you know is used for religious carvings. You see Olive Wood Crosses, Madonnas and Nativity scenes; because Olive Wood comes mainly from the Holy Land (can't say this particular wood did, but its certainly possible). And it really is beautiful wood, with highly contrasting grain in wild unpredictable patterns. This wood was sent to me as a gift by Kathryn (a Jimbo hook owner and very talented crochetier). Olive Wood makes VERY nice hooks! THANK YOU Kathryn!! So ok.. to the details. This is an I (5.5mm) and is 6 3/4 inches (17.15cm) long, with a generous thumb rest.

Next hook to the right is Hook #2, and its made from one of my favorite woods... Red Heart. Red Heart always has a Beautiful red color, and beautiful grain patterns. Its unusual in that its one of the pretty hardwoods that's lightweight as well. NICE wood! Oh, and the hook! It's a H (5mm)and is 6 1/2 inches (16.5cm) long AND is shaped in the original Jimbo hook style with a thumb rest that'll make your thumb think its in Heaven!.

Another Red Heart hook is next (Hook #3) and it has all the attributes of Hook #2 except its a different size. Ever wonder why the Hook Gods chose to take such a HUGE leap between the K (6.5mm) and the L (8mm)? Me too! So I, rebel that I am, decided there should be a 7mm hook size. And here you are! A 7mm K/L Or L/K? L minus? K plus??.. whatever.. its 7 inches (17.8cm) of beautiful red grain done in the Universal Jimbo style.. and a thumbrest that will give you chronic happy thumb.


And last but far FAR from least, is one of THE nicest woods I've EVER had the pleasure to turn. Not only that, this wood, Peraba Rosa, makes just absolutely SUPURB hooks. With sharp tools, almost continuous long curly shavings that make this wood an absolute joy to turn. Ah but that's not of interest to crochetiers... Crochetiers want smooooooth hooks that are such a pleasure to hold that beautiful crocheted art just floats off the hook. This is one of those woods. And the color!? Well just look! I researched this wood, and found that its common to Brazil (THANK YOU BRAZIL!!) and doesn't normally have this rich pumpkin color. Normally its more brown and red. So I'm thinking this is an unusual piece, and I'm lucky to have some to work with. But the beauty is in the tightness of the grain and ability to take detail. Carvers would die for this wood! And Just to prove that this is real wood, and not some woodlike nectar from the Goddess Hookthena , I left tiny little very smooth knife marks on the heel end, and on the thumb rest. Silk, its like!
Oh and if I can just work up enough will power to put it down for a minute to measure..uh..ok... its an H (5mm) and is a wee shy of 7 1/2 inches (19cm) long (didn't have the heart to cut it shorter).

So there you have it... the last Jimbo Hooks of the year! And they're up for auction! Lets make these true end of year hooks and close the auction Thursday, New Year's eve, at 5pm Pacific time. Note the 5pm time is different...mainly because Karol and I are going to some dear friends for New Years and I won't be here at the usual time.

So, if you'd like to bid... you can email bids with $5.00 raise minimums please, at:

jimbocrochetwhittler@yahoo.com

To new bidders: I try to post bids as they come in. I'm not here ALL the time though so if your bid doesn't show up right away, not to worry. Your bid will be posted as soon as Jimboly possible. Identical bids are entered by the time posted so if your bid is the same as another, I'll go by which ever one was posted first.

And since this is a short auction and many are in different time zones, I'll allow bids that state a maximim amount you'd be willing to pay. For example, lets say the bid is at $25. And lets say you send a "maximum" bid of $45. I'll increase the existing $25 bid to $30 for you (the minimum $5 increase). If another bid is made to $35, I'll increase your bid to $40, and so on until your maximum is reached or the auction ends with your bid of $45 or under. Like on ebay. Get it? If that's confusing, you can email me with any questions. Hmmm I have a question. What if two people send in the same maximum bids?? Hmmmmm. I guess in that case I'd take the maximum bid that got here first. That sound fair??

Ok I better quit now before my head starts to hurt, and just say..


Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Jimbo

Bids:

Olive I Hook #1:
Amy goes $15
Beth's here with $20
Jennifer goes to $30
Beth's back with $35
Elle goes to $40
Beth raises to $45
whew! Kathy bumps it again to $50

RedHeart H Hook #2:
Beth $15
Dawn goes to $30
Beth goes up to $35

RedHeart K plus, L minus, L/K, K/L... 7mm (Hook #3):
Amy with $15
Lori goes to $20
Carol does $30
Christina and Carol tie at $35.. Carol was the first received so..Carol gets the bid. Sorry Christina!! Carol: $35

Hook #4..Silky Peraba Rosa H:
Beth goes $15
Carol ups it to $20
Beth raises to $25
Carol to $30
Kelly bids $35
Beth with $40
Shelly goes $45
Beth take it to $50
and Shelly gets the hook with her maximum... $55

2 comments:

badrhinogillett said...

Those are BEAUTIFUL!

Sam Wallace said...

Hi there Jimbo,

I was wondering, do you do custom orders? And if so, could you give me a general price? I've been following your blog off and on for a while and your crochet hooks are the nicest I've seen! :) You can contact me via e-mail at s.awace@gmail.com

Thank you!