Wednesday, August 01, 2007

All bids are IN AUCTION IS CLOSED.. Elizabeth, Beth, Tine, and Kathryn are the high bidders!!

GREAT AUCTION!! Thanks, everyone for your bids! Winners please consider using the "Make a Donation" button in the blog for paypal use. If you choose not to use paypal, please contact me for other arrangements. Also please be sure i get your mailing addresses.
Thanks again for your bids!!
Jimbo



(click and wait forever for REALLY big details to load...but its worth the wait)

(PLEASE NOTE... I'M EXTENDING THIS AUCTION TILL TOMORROW NIGHT (AUG 9 till 10PM PACIFIC) ON ACCOUNTA THE LAST BUNCH OF BIDS DIDN'T POST, EVEN THOUGH I ENTERED THEM (PROBABLY, KNOWING ME, I HIT THE WRONG BUTTON AND DIDN'T CHECK) SO PLEASE CHECK FOR YOUR BID TO SEE IT'S THERE BECAUSE I DELETED SOME AFTER THE TIME I THOUGHT THEY WERE POSTED, AND EMAIL ME IF YOUR BID DOESN'T SHOW, PLEASE. SORRY FOR THE MIX UP!!!)




Oh, lots of things. In fact most folks when they think of Washington State think of Seattle, which is a BIG part of the West Side. Well we on the East Side get just a little jealous.. cause the West Side gets all the good stuff. But i have to say there are some really great things from over there. "What ever could that be?" you ask. The Space Needle? ho hum. Bill Gates? ok you got me there.. I like that guy! The Mariners? you gotta be kidding? The Huskies? Now you're getting WAY off base. Ok ok, i'll tell you. One of the best from over there is (no not Jimmi Hendrix). Senator Patty Murray? Ok now you couldn't get further out in left field. Nope, nope... I guess i better tell you. Its My Thunderbird (her Web Name). She's just about the sweetest lady around, from EITHER side of the State. AND she made the afgan you see in the picture above. Isn't that just knock out beautiful? And the colors!! A true asset to crochetdom and Western Washington! And guess what??? She created this beauty with a Jimbo hook... made from lilac that grew in her yard in... well i won't tell you that to protect her from the paparazzi. Thanks again, My Thunderbird you're the BEST!
But wait, there's more! What else besides My Thunderbird are right up there with the Pike Street Market, Starbucks and Bill Gates?? hmmmmm? Ok you guessed it. Madrona!! Yup, Madrona grows wild over there. You won't see a much prettier tree. The bark is soooo soft, like velvet and the color with moss growing all over it is just beautiful. And the wood!! Well there's a couple examples in the hooks up for bids.. along with some from the East Side just to balance things out.

So up for bids are....

The top hook we'll call West One, is Madrona. My hands started shaking when I was making this hook, the grain is so dramatic and beautiful. Not like your typical Madrona which has a far more subtle grain structure. Ok, so its an I sizewise, and about 7 inches long overall, with a fantastically smooth "worry stone" end for you to rub while you're becoming inspired to make your next wonderous creation.

Next down is another Madrona hook we'll call West Two. Now here's a more traditional Madrona grain. See the difference? The structure is WAY more subtle, but that almost makes all the prettier. You see this hook up close in your hands, and you'll see what I mean. It's just amazingly beautiful. Oh, and its an H and a little over 6 inches long.

Three from the top is a Birch hook from my back yard that we'll call East One. This tree has yielded some really pretty hooks, for a Birch. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not a fan of Birch for, say Kitchen Cabinets... but branch wood on a birch tree is really pretty stuff. This is another one you have to see up close to appreciate its beauty. And its VERY lightweight. Its a 7 sizewise (between an H and a G) and its a longer one... about 7 inches long.

And finally but way far from the least is East Two..another hook that had me drooling on my lathe. This beauty is made of good ole Deadman Crick Hazelnut wood. And if you've ever experienced this stuff, you'll know that its just the purtiest country wood. And its got character... a little bug hole here.. a little bark there, and you have a true Deadman Crick beauty. AND its a member of that rarified G hook group. Yup another one broke the G barrier! Oh and its about 6 inches long.


So we'll take bids on this bevy of beauties till next Wednesday, 10 pm Pacific time.
Please note that I'll be up at the crick for a few days starting late tomorrow or Friday and might not be able to post your bids right away...but don't worry. They'll get posted as soon as i can get to them.


And as usual, you can email me your bids at:

jimbocrochetwhittler@yahoo.com

And thanks for stopping by!
Jimbo

BIDS:

West One:
Tracey bids $30 on this fine example of West Washington Wood
Elizabeth, one of my first customers, REALLY likes this one... and bids $50!

West Two:
Beth bids $15 on this beauty outa the West
Andy (famous from "Crochet Depot") honors me with an $18 bid
Jen's in for $20
And Vicki's here! (feeling better, I hope) with $25
Jennifer is back with $28
Tine's here! And shes bidding. $30
Jennifer says she's not gonna be shot outta the water, and bumps it up to $35
Whoa! Beth's back with $55!!



East One:
Bonnie's in for $20
Carola all the way from Sweden bids $25
Tine' here too.. and ups it to $30


East Two:
Rayleen's here!! And she's bidding $20!
Ah but so's Kathryn and she's in for $30!
Rayleen, who'd like to increase the Canadian Jimbo Hook population, raises to $35
Kathryn is back with $45!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

blanket is gorgeous, she did a great job.
Love the hooks as well of course

vicki said...

aww gosh i am so happy you love the blanket. its not half as much though as i love my hooks you made for me:D i was honored to be able to repay you jim for your kindness to me. oh madrona wood, goodness that is beautiful. i hope you and carol enjoy the blanket and think of me once in a while when you use it. i only use my jimbo hooks when making something for someone who is special,. thats you jim. thanks again for your kindness and my awesome hooks:D

LadyLinoleum said...

Jimbo...I got my Craft mag with your hook spread in there! Yay!!! Congrats. You really are such a talented guy. Well deserved.

Can I tell you how much your egg handled hooks saved my hands in the last couple of months? Really. I was on the verge of tears until I switched out the regular handle for the egg version. Many, many thanks.

Robin Fonner Andersen said...

that's some great looking hooks and a beautiful afghan. I blogged about your article in "Craft" on my blog

http://crochetinglessons.blogspot.com/

Crafty Andy said...

I have to bring your button to my blog, I hope I win the hook I am secretly bidding on hahaha! Thanks for your creativity and for sharing it with us