Wednesday, February 27, 2013

NEW HOOK AUCTION and a STORY (auction is over)

.  Oh, and the #2 hook going to the highest bidder?  There was a tie, so I flipped a coin and the winner is.....LAUREN

paypal.  Postage, since rates have gone up is an additional $2.50*, pleased new auction will be up, hopefully tomorrow with some really exciting new*unless you're outside the USA.  In that case please email me your address and we'll figure out postage.
Thanks again to all bidders and visitors!  A branThanks to all bidders and visitors!  The auction is over.  High bidders, please consider clicking on the "make a donation" button in the left hand margin to use  hooks!

click on picture to enlarge
A brand new auction just for you.  Let me tell you about it.  This is a mix of hooks, from domestic woods to ultra exotics (to me, that is).  And one is already sold.  Can you guess which?  You're right!  The hook on the far right in the bowl is a custom order that I just finished for April.  April's a designer and a very special person as well, so she gets this Canary Wood beauty.  This is a first for me, I've never worked with Canary wood before.  It's a very nice hardwood, and I splurged a bit for April.
Ok so lets start from the bottom, then left to right.

On bottom is a Nostepenne that's made of Bramble Bush wood from up on the ranch.  Beautiful to look yet functional for winding those really nice center pull yarn balls.  An heirloom.
(oh yeah I made the bowl too, but it's not for sale)

So lets start on the auction hooks.  We'll number them from 1 to 5 and start from the left (April's hook would be hook #6 on the far left, but remember; it's already sold).

Hook #1 is made of Jobillo, an exotic hardwood that works really well for smaller size hooks.  This one is a G (4mm) and it's 7 1/4 inches of hooky beauty.

Hook #2 is Bush Maple. I don't normally stain wood... in fact hardly ever do I change wood color, but I thought I should once just to see if I was missing something.  I wasn't.  The wood before the stain was just as pretty as it was after.  However what's interesting is that the throat and thumb rest were formed after the staining so they're lighter in color.  Fascinating, eh?  The hook has a flat base and will stand up all by itself for your viewing pleasure.  It's an I (5.5mm) and is 7 3/4 inches long.

Hook #3 is another new wood to me.  Hububalli.  Can you say Hububalli?  I can't.  But it's a very lightweight hardwood and has fascinating grain structure.  A bit like Ash, but lighter weight and tighter grain.  Because the wood is so light, a large hook is permissible.  So this one is big.  It's an M (9mm) and a whopping 8 1/2 inches long.

Hook #4 could support an auction all on it's own.  Ever hear of Dalmata?  Well it's another new one to me but wooo is it pretty!  There's a variety of color, some blending, some distinct, but all shimmering and dark and mysterious.  I'm going to make more hooks of this wood.  It's just too pretty to be turned into anything but crochet hooks.  Not easy to work with, but WELL worth the effort.  This one is an L and is a touch over 7 inches long.  Oh and it has a comfy thumb rest and will stand on it's flat foot.

Hook #5 is Madrona from over on the Coast.  I was gifted this piece at a past Crochet Liberation Front retreat where I taught hook carving.  Beautiful wood, Madrona, and this piece is a prime example.  See the bit of reddish bark on the foot?  Stand it up on it's foot and it looks like it's growing out of the table.  Sculptural.  Collectible.  And functional.  It's a K (6.5mm) and is 7 3/4 inches tall.  With comfy thumb rest.

Ok so there you have the auction hooks!  Want to bid?  Simply email me at   and I'll post your bid below.  Tie bids are settled by the time received, the earlier bid wins.  Also please increase bids by a $5 minimum.  The auction will close at 10pm Pacific time on Wed. March 6.

Bids:
Hook 1
Willow's here!  $15
Denise goes to $20
Shivani bids $40
Lauren raises to $45


Hook 2
Know what?  I feel bad about staining this hook.  I'm going to take it off the block, and send it free along with the hook (#1, 3, 4 or 5) won with the highest bid in this auction.  It's a fine hook and will crochet well.  I'm just feeling guilty about staining it.  I've dyed hooks before without guilt but staining?  I shoulda known better.  But I promise this hook will crochet right along, head held high, with the "purtier" hooks.

Hook 3
Benita goes $20
Doug bumps it up to $30

Hook 4
Doug here too with $40
Sheri goes $45

Hook 5
Benita with $20
Sheri says $25

Deadman Crick Noste:
Anamaria:  $10
Claire goes $20
Shivani raises to $30


and now..... 

MICHELLE 

  Way back in October of last year I had an inquiry about making two custom hooks.  All was well until my memory ran out.  It does that.  But, ever patient, Michelle inquired again just before Christmas if the hooks might be nearing completion.  I, of course apologized and got busy.  I made Michelle two hooks per her order and added a little extra to her package to assuage my guilt, hustled down to the post office and sent the package away to England where the very patient and forgiving Michelle lives.  Wouldn't you know it?  The package got lost in the mail and after weeks waiting that ended up in despair, I offered Michelle a refund and another apology.  Michelle decided that rather than a refund, she would like me to try again.  Out to the shop I went and made up two more hooks and sent them off.  This was somewhere near 16 weeks from Michelle's first order.  But this time, the mail worked and she received her package.  She immediately let me know with photographic proof (I sent the shawl pin you see in the photo along with her hooks).  Pretty girl, Michelle, and happy to finally have her hooks.  This photo also shows what a talented crocheter Michelle is.. take a look at that shawl!!



Both of us relieved, and Michelle happy to finally get her hooks, she wrote:

"They work soooo well, beautifully balanced and weighty in my hand, they feel more substantial than other hooks I use (Brittany birch and clover) I love using wooden hooks I have somewhat of an obsession with trees (walking in forests, drawing them, painting them, making them out of felt). Sometimes though with particularly "snaggy" yarn my clover soft touch hooks are the only ones that will do, as the wooden ones often pull or get caught on the fibres.


Oh my, no such problem with your hooks Jimbo they are smooth and snag free, with a perfect little indentation for my thumb! I don't know how you do it but the hooks are absolutely perfect! "

(I just HAD to add that comment here)

She's a tree lover!!  I had to know more.  So I asked if she would please send me some pictures of the trees she's done in fiber.  Modest, that Michelle.  But I talked her into letting me post a photo of a piece she did.....

I'm impressed!   So impressed I just had to share with you.  Quite an artist AND an amazingly talented crochet artist, that Michelle, don't you agree?

I'm so thankful that Michelle decided to give me another chance, and hopeful that those wayward hooks finally show up.

So happy to make your acquaintance, Michelle!
Jimbo


1 comment:

Benita said...

Beautiful hooks and story. I'm glad things worked out for you and Michelle. I wonder where those hooks ended up.