Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Auction is over!!! One from the Crick, One from Laos; and two from above, up for bids

Thanks to all bidders! High bidders please consider using the "make a donation" button here in the left margin for using paypal, or contact me for other payment arrangements. Thanks!!!



(you just gotta click on these images to BEGIN to see what we're talkinbout)

I'd planned to make lots more hooks this past week, while up at the ranch, but time kinda got in the way with other projects. But I did make one, and I think it turned out to be a doozie. Its made from a bit of weathered applewood or at least I think so since I found the stick in the area of the famous old Deadman Crick apple tree. At first I wondered if the wood was ok to use, but quickly found out that it's solid. There's ALL kinds of things going on with this hook. Varied colors, from partially blued wood to reddish bark to grayed knots..and little bug paths... you can spend lots of time just turning it around and seeing what's there, and its all pretty; with plenty of mother natures paint brush strokes showing.
The hook is a 10mm (an N) and I carved finger and thumb rests on both sides. Its about 17cm (6 3/4 inches)long. Lets call it the hook of many colors.


The next hook is made of Mun Ebony. A friend at a local woodworker's store told me this would be an interesting hook wood. My friend made a serious understatement. The black you expect in ebony is there. This is an exception because lots of this kind of wood is green, where this one's black. This wood is harvested from fallen logs.. and the older ones (some they say has lain for 100 years) must blacken with age. But as they say on TV, "But wait, there's more!" Layered in all that ink black are really beautiful ribbons of caromel colored wood. All that laying around on the forest floor in Laos hasn't caused the stuff to go punky. To the contrary, the wood is VERY hard, like you'd expect ebony to be, but VERY pretty, with lots of grain character showing. So much so that I just had to take two pictures to give you more of an idea. Still the camera doesn't do it justice. Its just plain incredible, and well it should be.. it took at least twice the normal hook making time to shape this one. And because its such tough, hard wood, I dared to take it down to an F sizewise (4mm). Its a little longish (7 3/8 inches or 18.5mm), but worth the length in woodgrain beauty. I carved a thumbrest on the hook side and the "universal" grip otherwise.
Lets call this on Ebony and Ivory.

Now a couple late comers, from the post above this one; about Karol's first crochet project. Complicated eh? Well I have faith in you. You'll figure it out.

So ok. the top hook in the post above this one, is from genuine Deadman Crick Tamarack. Ever see my pictures taken in the fall (you can find some, I'm sure, in the archives) where the Tamaracks have turned brilliant yellow? That's just one gift tamaracks offer. You know I have to say that Tamarack is my most favorite wood. I know its not as hard as lots of other hardwoods but if it were, I'd be hard pressed to use any other wood for hooks. But its just a gift to work with. Its the best firewood to warm your home... it snaps and crackles like a fire should. Its about the best construction wood you can use. Its light, and its beautiful. AND it gtows on the Ranch. What more can a feller ask for.
This one is a P (16mm) and 7 1/2 inches (19cm) long, but you won't believe how light it feels. I don't make small tamarack hooks because the wood's a bit too soft to hold up... but for big hooks.... oh my! So we'll call this one the Tamarack P.

Next up in from the post above is a hook made from YEW!!! John, my niece Barb's boyfriend heard that I make hooks and generously gave me several chunks of DROP DEAD BEAUTIFUL Pacific Yew. Now Yew, as you may know, was the plant that helped so many folks conquor cancer by it's bark which contains taxol, a cancer treatment substance. Yew was also the choice of Robin Hook for his long bows. And here you thought Robin Hood was a fictitious character! Well Yew sure isn't. And it makes VERY nice crochet hooks. A bit harder than the tamarack, but still not approaching the hardest woods, Yew makes good mid to large hooks. This one's a K and a real beauty at 7 1/4 inches long (18.3cm). We'll call this one, cleverly, the K Yew.
Lets run this auction till Wednesday, July 22; 10pm Pacific Standard Time.

Again, lets also have bid increases of at least $5.00 for fairness to late bidders from far away time zones. AND you can send your bids via email to me at:

jimbocrochetwhittler@yahoo.com

Thanks for your patience... I know the hooks are coming slow but all those other chores well they just don't do themselves.

Happy bidding!
Jimbo

Bids:

Hook of many colors:
Vanessa bids $15
Tracey bumps it up to $25
AnaMaria $30
Debora goes to $40



Ebony and Ivory:
Sherri starts the bidding with $20
Tracey takes it to $25
Its up to $35 with Shannon's bid
Tracey comes back with $40
Bonnie goes to $45
Tracey bumps it up to $50
Claire with a big bump to $65
Tracey comes back with $70!
Holey COW!! Claire says $80!!

Tamarack P:
Sherri feels sorry for the lonely P... $5
AnaMaria $15

K Yew:
Shannon and Jane tie for $15
Alice breaks the tie with $20

No comments: